Co-op Bank ads reassure customers about its ethics

Co-op Bank: the banking group's headquarters in Manchester
Co-op Bank: the banking group's headquarters in Manchester

The Co-operative Bank has taken out a national press ad in today's papers to stress its ethical banking credentials, as the bank reveals details of its rescue plan.

The press ads, created by Leo Burnett, seek to reassure customers that although the Co-op Group will no longer have full ownership of the bank, its ethical code will not change because it will be written into its constitution for the first time.

The creative displays a blue Co-op Bank-branded notebook displaying the words: "Ethical banking has always been in our DNA. Now it’s in our constitution."

The ad is running in the Daily Mail, The Independent, The Sun, The Mirror, the Daily Express, the Financial Times, The Daily Telegraph, The Guardian and The Times. Media planning and buying was by Rocket.

The ad claims that by "continuing to have regard for the highest standards of ethical principles", the Co-op Group is "more committed than ever" to ensuring the bank "remains just as special for years to come".

Euan Sutherland, the group chief executive of The Co-Op, and Niall Booker, the chief executive of The Co-op Bank, have signed the ad.

Sutherland said on the ‘Today’ programme on BBC Radio 4 this morning that the ad aims to reassure customers the bank will retain its ethical credentials under new the ownership structure.

If the rescue plan goes ahead Co-op creditors, who are largely hedge funds, will own 70 per cent of shares in the Co-op bank, leaving The Co-op Group with just 30 per cent.

Discussion

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus
Brand Republic Jobs

subscribe now

Latest

Oasis #springasmile digital campaign gets people doing good deeds
Coca-Cola: 'Don't approach bloggers with a fait accompli'
Tesco CMO Matt Atkinson: 'It is so important not to stereotype mothers'
McDonald's gives Ronald a new look ahead of global 'Fun times' social media push
In pictures: BrewDog opens first craft beer shop BottleDog for 'beer aficionados'
Facebook ad revenue leaps $1bn as it invests in targeting
Malteser or Maltesers? Mars takes Hershey trademark dispute to court
Apple Q2 profits top $10bn as iPhone sales soar
Lynx tells men not to leave love to fate
HBO captures awkwardness of watching sex scenes with parents
Primark to open first US stores with Boston chosen as flagship location
Marketing spend on the up but a reality check is needed before celebrating
Top 10 ads of the week: Jackpotjoy and BT Broadband fend off Kevin Bacon
Lidl beats Tesco to 10m Facebook fans
Center Parcs ad banned for encouraging parents to take kids out of school
Coca-Cola, Cadbury and Amazon named top brands for targeting youth market
Leaked document shows Nokia to be rebranded as Microsoft Mobile
Nike lays-off hardware staff in move that casts doubt on future of FuelBand
Greenpeace says save the bees or humans will die
What brands need to know about changes to VAT and online downloads in 2015
Jimmy Savile victims urged to claim compensation in new ad campaign
UKIP launches biggest  ad campaign and stirs up 'racist' accusations
Apple boss Tim Cook provides voiceover on ad touting firm's renewed green commitments
John Lewis walks consumers through its history to celebrate 150 years of business
Waitrose boosts content strategy with 'Weekend Kitchen with Waitrose' C4 tie-up
Hottest virals: Cute puppies star in Pedigree ad, plus Idris Elba and Fruyo
Amnesty International burns candles to illuminate new hope
Tom of Finland's 'homoerotic' drawings made into stamps
Toyota achieves the impossible by calming angry Roman drivers
YouTube reveals user habits to appeal to 'older' marketers