When one of the country’s most famously advertised brands appoints its
first new ad agency for 28 years, it is big news. Now, with the review
behind him and that exceedingly good agency, Mellors Reay, firmly in the
Mr Kipling hotseat, RHM’s Manor Bakeries marketing director Colin Tether
can take a well-earned rest on the Mix island. Like all our castaways,
he is supplied with the Bible, a subscription to Marketing and an
Interlink link - and he can choose five inanimate objects and one book
to pack in his suitcase. Having marketed RHM’s cakes for two years and
with previous stints at McVities, Kraft, Golden Wonder and Nestle --
could food be high on his agenda?
* A very large fridge-freezer, with an unending supply of Michelob in
the fridge and of Haagen Dazs Chocolate Chip ice-cream in the freezer.
* Satellite TV so I-could pick up Sky Sports and indulge my passions of
golf, Chelsea Football Club and the American football team, the Chicago
* A set of golf clubs and lots of balls. I play and really love it - but
I need more practice. My handicap is my inconsistency.
* A long-wave radio to pick up the football results every Saturday, the
Today programme every morning and the News Quiz. If I could occasionally
get Chris Tarrant, I’d be delighted - but I would want a special gizmo
on my radio to stop me picking up the shipping forecast.
* A picture of Hong Kong at night - not only because it is a really
beautiful place, but also because I was born there.
* At school every Monday, my two daughters have to write their ‘news’ -
what they did at the weekend. For my reading material, I would like a
compendium of their news, to remind me of the things they do because
they are the best new products I have ever created.