This Thursday, in case you hadn’t realised, is Thanksgiving. A perfect
time to cast away an American who has only ever worked for his country’s
real icon Brands - McDonalds, Coca-Cola and, since 1987, American
Express. John Steward spent two years in Germany before coming to the UK
18 months ago and is now vice president in charge of new cardmember
marketing. Based in London, he still does a lot of travelling - and he
believes in travelling light. That’s a big advantage on our desert
island, where castaways are allowed only five inanimate objects and one
book to supplement the Bible, the subscription to Marketing and the
solar-powered internet which Mix generously supplies.
* My Amex card - so I could buy things through the Internet. If my
computer comes with a printer, I could also get my kids to scan in their
latest artwork and letters.
* My mountain bike and a practice stand. I have three bikes and use them
a lot - but the mountain bike will probably be most suitable for touring
* A lifetime supply of gin, tonic and fresh limes.
* A CD player with the complete collection of Elvis Costello.
* My Chinese language tapes and books. I read Asian Studies at
university, but don’t get enough chance to practice the languages.
* My book would be a collection of all the letters my wife wrote to me
during the two years we were apart at university. We met there, but then
each of us spent a different year abroad - so we communicated by letter.
Hers were always so funny that they never fail to cheer me up.