’We just can’t get the staff,’ is a statement made by managers
There is a shortage of quality marketers and account handlers, mainly
due to the reduction of graduate intakes during the recession and a
currently buoyant economy.
In some sectors, particularly FMCG and below-the-line, demand exceeds
supply by three to one. So here are my golden rules on recruiting:
- Avoid year-long exclusivity deals with one recruitment firm.
- Use the right manager to interview the candidates.
- Be honest about the job and your company.
- Treat candidates with respect. Don’t cancel interviews at short notice
and do give feedback.
- Be flexible on interview times.
- Act quickly and decisively.
- Don’t offer silly money. Many clients still try to offer candidates a
salary rise of less than 5%.
- If you don’t get an exact fit, compromise on experience not ability.