BMB pipped MCBD, creators of the epic Hovis ad, to the title, which was judged by a panel of independent experts against criteria such as growth and innovation and - in a new metric for 2008 - evidence of creative thinking and effectiveness on a small budget. The judges cited BMB's performance in this category, contribution to client business and an impressive £65.4m in new billings as factors in their decision.
Redwood's 100% success record on new business pitches this year and its diversification into digital secured the agency its third consecutive category win in a year that also marked its 25th anniversary.
Mediaedge:cia was named media agency of the year for the second year running, having impressed the judges with
new business wins including Orange, United Biscuits and Wrigley. The clear ROI of campaigns by five-year-old agency Elvis also shone through as it narrowly beat Kitcatt Nohr
Alexander Shaw to the direct agency of the year accolade, thereby preventing Kitcatt Nohr emulating Redwood's three-year run at the top of its category.
See the full list of winners below:
- Creative agency of the year: Beattie McGuinness Bungay
- Media agency of the year: Mediaedge:cia
- Direct agency of the year: Elvis
- Digital agency of the year: Agency Republic
- Sponsorship agency of the year: Octagon
- Design agency of the year: Interbrand
- Customer publishing agency of the year: Redwood
- Market research agency of the year: Hall & Partners
- PR agency of the year: Blue Rubicon
- Contact centre agency of the year: The Listening Company
- Field marketing agency of the year: Reach
- Sales promotion agency of the year: Billington Cartmell