The retailer said that it conducted a study and has found that 50% of the public suffer from Christmas Affective Disorder (CAD), which symptoms include feelings of anxiety when it comes to preparing a Christmas dinner. The chain also said that one in four surveyed claims that Christmas is the most stressful time of the year.
Waitrose will launch an online forum on 9 December. The forum aims to help shoppers cope with Christmas, and executive chef Neil Nugent will answer questions.
The role of executive chef was created by Waitrose in March to help the retailer develop ‘food excellence'.
The findings from Waitrose were from an independent poll of 2,050 adults, conducted by ICM.
Top 10 causes of stress, according to Waitrose:
1. Wasted food
2. Mess in the kitchen
3. Not having enough space around the table
4. Not having enough food
5. Burning the Christmas dinner
6. Children filling up on chocolate and sweets before dinner
7. Catering for vegetarians or diners with allergies
8. Guests getting too drunk
9. The smell of Brussels sprouts
10. Finding meat for those with dentures